This project intends to provide a framework for consultation and development of the Standards for Practice for cardiovascular nurses in Australia. The Australian College of Cardiovascular Nurses and the European Society of Cardiology (ESC)* each acknowledge the varied scope and role of the Cardiovascular Nurse, recognising the diverse range of contexts and practice experiences. The standards would build upon the NMBA Registered Nurse Practice Standards** assisting nurses to interpret the national standards
- All nurses may provide care to patients with cardiovascular disease
- Some nurses work exclusively with cardiovascular patients and acquire specialist or advanced knowledge and skill to assist patients; and
- Few nurses, in addition to meeting competency standards for specialist practice, are credentialed to practise cardiovascular nursing at an advanced level or in extended practice roles which may have national, state or local accreditation processes.
The draft Standards will be the result of an extensive literature review and consultation with cardiovascular experts. They are intended to promote discussion in cardiovascular communities of practice, provide a baseline which will evolve over time, and inform research to validate the Standards.
The Project Team:
- Jacqueline Colgan ACNC member CNC Cardiology Central Coast Local Health District. Casual Academic University of Tasmania
- Dawn McIvor CNC Cardiology Cardiac Stream Coordinator Hunter New England Local Health District
- Ross Proctor ACNC Life member, past president. CNC Acute Cardiology Northern Sydney Local Health District
- Melanie Greenwood Academic project support University of Tasmania
- Patricia Bromley Academic project support University of Tasmania
Ethics submission to
23rd July 2018 Ethics Application Approved: H0017247 A descriptive exploratory study to develop Australian Registered Nurse Cardiovascular Practice Standards
Feedback and Member Participation:
Comments are welcome via ACNC website: link: www.acnc.net.au or if you are interested in participating in the e-
* Astin, F., Carroll, D.L., Ruppar, T., Uchmanowicz, I., Hinterbuchner, L., Kletsiou, E., Serafin, A. and Ketchell, A., 2015. A core curriculum for the continuing professional development of nurses: developed by the Education Committee on behalf of the Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and Allied Professions of the ESC. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 14(3), pp.190-197.
** Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia. (2016). Registered Nurse standards for practice. Australian Health Professional Registration Authority. Available at: http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Codes-Guidelines-Statements/Professional-standards/registered-nurse-standards-for-practice.aspx
*** Edmonds, L., Cashin, A., & Heartfield, M. (2016). Comparison of Australian specialty nurse standards with registered nurse standards. International nursing review, 63(2), 162-179.